An eyelash is not just a hair that grows on your eyelid. Collectively eyelashes are a tool and their job is to alert your eye that debris, such as large dust particles or insects are near enough to touch it. They also protect your eye by filtering particles, catching them in the eyelash threading, instead of having them fall in your eyes. When the eyelashes are touched, they are also sensitive enough to alert your eyelids to close, thus putting up another barrier that will protect the eye. This is an involuntary action on the part of your eye, and very useful in keeping the eye from being damaged.Sioia
The life cycle of an eyelash is much shorter than that of the hair on head. You shed eyelashes every seven to eight weeks. And although you may be a natural blond(e), your eyelashes may be any color from white blond(e) to light brown. Brunettes almost always have eyelash threading that range from dark brown to black. They also seem to be some of last hairs on your body to turn gray.
Women often use their eyelashes flirtatiously, and lengthen their eyelash threading using mascara or eyelash extensions. Although long lashes are associated with women, men’s lashes seem to grow longer and thicker.
While the first eyelash grower was kohl, used by Ancient Egyptians to protect the eyes from sand, modern techniques for lengthening the lashes include the following.
Real Eyelash Growers
- Permanent eyelash threading transplants. Since these are hairs taken from other places in your body, they have to be trimmed on a regular basis. Or, you could wind up with eyelashes as long as the hair on your head.
- Latisse, which is a prescription drug that has been approved by the FDA. It is applied using a small brush along the lash line. It may take more than two months before you notice growth. The generic name for Latisse is bimatoprost. Bimatoprost is the active ingredient in glaucoma medicines. And the rate of eyelash growth in the upper and lower lids, and the right and left eye may differ.
- Eyelash conditioners and conditioning mascaras. Some contain natural oil and herbal extracts.
Semi Permanent Eyelash Extensions
- False eyelash threading, especially those applied in salons are fine if you are attending an event.
- Eyelash extensions, which are glued onto your regular eyelash threading. These will wear off after approximately 3 weeks.
While your eyes may be the mirrors to your soul, your eyelash threading should serve as a very elegant frame.